Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hamlet: Take 2

     The theory of performative utterance describes how certain language does not merely describe action, but acts in being spoken.  "The performative is uttered in the performance of an illocutionary act and is either successful or unsuccessful rather than true or false."  With this theory in mind, one can see how big of an impact it has on Hamlet.  Through the analysis of various characters' soliloquies in the play Hamlet, this notion becomes evident.

     "To be, or not to be: that is the question…"  This soliloquy can be interpreted in a variety of ways.  Some may think that Hamlet is extremely indecisive, and that he just continues to ramble in an attempt to make up his mind.  However, upon further analysis, you realize Hamlet has already determined that he is going to murder Claudius, he just wants to weigh all of his options.  He isn't trying to talk himself out of his situation; Hamlet is simply an over-analyzer.

     I, like Hamlet, tend to over-analyze the situations that I come upon.  Take applying to colleges, for example, since this is such an important process.  Through my own "self-overhearing" I have created a sense of expectation for myself that I believe will help me to get accepted to the colleges of my choice.  Through my preparation and careful studying, I have hopefully set myself up to see real world results, ultimately the acceptance letter to my dream school.

     Thinking things out in your mind before you act plays a large role in the process.  I believe that this is why parents have tried to ban violent video games in the past.   With their children running around in virtual reality killing people in such games, many parents believe this type of play will be transferred over to reality.  Although in most cases this hasn't proved to be the case, it is possible.  Thoughts and feelings drastically influence one's ability to choose.

     The illocutionary force is evident in the play Hamlet.  Hamlet's soliloquies are not merely words, but plans.  This can be compared to our own self-overhearing, which is ultimately the thought process that occurs on a day-to-day basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment