Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of

     I didn't realize that the information that I search for online is tailored to match what I usually search; whenever I search for something, I am fed what the internet believes I want to see based on my past internet searches. This makes me want to extend my search in whatever I'm looking into farther, and makes me question if what I have used as research in the past is valid or just based off of biased opinions. To improve the effectiveness of my searches, I can use multiple search engines, try re-wording the information that I'm searching for, and not just pick articles off of the first page of the search engine I'm using.
     When I re-did my Shakespeare research, this time I used different search engines (yahoo, ask, and google instead of just google) and didn't just rely on the first page of results for information.  This is the information that I found:
     Shakespeare's life is a big mystery to many, but it is believed that he was born in Stratford on about April 23, 1564.  He came from a relatively wealthy family, with his father a local businessman and his mother coming from a landowning family.  At 18 he married Anne Hathaway, and they had three children.  However, one later died at the age of 11.  There are many rumors that have declared Shakespeare was not the true author of his works.  Popular beliefs as to who the true author was include Christopher Marlowe, Queen Elizabeth, and Edward de Vere.  Shakespeare eventually emerged as a rising playwright in London, becoming a central figure in the leading company.  He eventually died on April 23, 1616.

No comments:

Post a Comment