Sunday, January 15, 2012

Big Question Abstract

The struggle in defining who we are haunts our everyday lives.  Some define a "good" person as someone who treats others how they want to be treated.  However, what if that person doesn't care how others treat them, they're just in it for their own personal benefit.  A good person is someone who truly cares about others, and although that is an impossible status to measure, it is clearly evident who in life is striving to do their best, and who just doesn't care at all.  There is also the struggle of defining what is considered to be an unfortunate event.  For research purposed, that will be defined as something that causes pain or hardship to others.  As each person reacts to hardships differently, there will have to be different examples defining how bad things effect various types of people.

5 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting question, I liked how you defined an unfortunate event so that everyone is on the same page while reading the rest of your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this topic. It reminds me of a question that my friends and i were talking about.. "Why do bad things happen to good people?" I feel like you are very organized and I'm excited to see what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a compelling topic. Can you say more about the need for the study, or the benefit of deeper understanding in this area? Nicole's comment reminded me there's a book by the same name: "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" by Harold Kushner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really always does seem like bad things happen to good people. Are you planning to focus more on the why of this question? Or on the how good people handle the bad things that happen to them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the feedback. Dr. Preston that is definitely a resource that I will consult in my research.
    Rachel my entire question is, "Why do bad things happen to good people? How do people define/experience misfortune? How does it influence the sense of themselves?" So I will answer both the why and how.

    ReplyDelete